On our second visit with our
family, I felt even more anxiety. I knew this time we wouldn’t have our leader,
Kelly, to facilitate the discussion. When we arrived, I felt the same immediate
language barrier. We sat down and had the children write our names down again
to make sure they could pronounce them. To our surprise, there was a new face,
the family had a guest with them - he was a young neighbor boy who spoke the
same language. The children smiled as we brought out our beginning activity, we
were going to play games on an iPad. The games helped the children recognize
different animals and words. Next, we began to play with sticky notes. Before
arriving, we had labeled the notes with different things around the house. We
went into the kitchen and began to ask the family about different appliances
and utensils. We found it difficult to teach at first because the neighbor boy
was answering all of our questions before the family had a change. We politely
asked him to let the family have a chance to speak first. As the family found
each object, we would place the sticky note on it. For example, we asked the
children where the “oven” was then gave the children the note and had them
place it on the correct appliance. After practicing in the kitchen and
bathroom. We had each member of the family place the sticky notes without any
help. This led to a lot of laughing and a surprising amount of learning. I
noticed the mother did not feel comfortable doing the activity with the whole
family, so I asked her to do it individually with me. As she went around the
bathroom, I could tell she would hold back when she did not know an answer and
not guess. I think the mother is in the initial adjustment phase of culture
shock or the acculturation phase. I think her children are in the acceptance
and integration.
During our time at the family’s house, I
noticed many different things that alerted me to their culture: their rug,
language, food on the table, and even the pictures on the wall. This made me
think about where these people were coming from and how they felt with us in
the room. After observing the mother’s actions, I thought she was experiencing
the initial adjustment phase of culture shock. Culture shock is “sustained
intercultural contact that requires total immersion in another culture”.
Firstly being honeymoon where the person feels happy and blissful in their new
home. Secondly, culture shock phase where the person does not like the culture
they have moved to and does not want to adapt or change at all. After he or she
accepts their new life, the initial adjustment phase begins, where the person
will try to find a job and make a new life. Often times this can lead to the
mental isolation phase, in which he or she starts to look internally for
answers instead of asking others. This can really hurt the person because they
stop progressing. Finally, after all of these obstacles are overcome, the
person can move into the acceptance and integration phase. I think the mother
is between initial adjustment and mental isolation. I have been trying to reach
out to her to help her progress because I can see her starting to internalize
her thoughts. This could also be attributed to her cultural upbringing also,
though.
Next time with the family, I think they would enjoy more games on the iPad and I think the sticky note game was really effective. Over the course of this visit I learned a lot. I learned how truly difficult it is to learn simple words like “door”. When people don’t know these simple words, it can make life very hard because American’s assume these words are basic knowledge. In the future, I think continuing basic, every day words is very important and can help the family more than anything. This knowledge will give me a better outlook on immigrants and refugees in the future. I could never imagine being thrown into a culture I know nothing about. I have empathy for these people, and I really want to see them succeed.
Next time with the family, I think they would enjoy more games on the iPad and I think the sticky note game was really effective. Over the course of this visit I learned a lot. I learned how truly difficult it is to learn simple words like “door”. When people don’t know these simple words, it can make life very hard because American’s assume these words are basic knowledge. In the future, I think continuing basic, every day words is very important and can help the family more than anything. This knowledge will give me a better outlook on immigrants and refugees in the future. I could never imagine being thrown into a culture I know nothing about. I have empathy for these people, and I really want to see them succeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment